Constipation is a very common complaint; one in three people experience it at some time. Here are some of the signs:
- Difficulty passing stool
- Hard or lumpy stool
- When it feels like your bowel movement is not finished, but nothing more comes
- Fewer than 3 bowel movements per week
- Bloating and discomfort in the abdomen
Usually, constipation is not a very serious condition but the symptoms can sometimes be signs of more serious diseases. Especially if the problems last for several weeks or months, you should get medical advice.
Laxatives may help
Laxatives are substances that make bowel movements easier and more regular.
Three kinds of effect help to achieve this goal:
- Increasing the volume of stool
- Making the stool softer and wetter
- Activating the muscles of the colon and rectum
The combination of the different natural effects of lactulose namely increased colonic bacterial growth, increased stool volume and peristaltic activation makes lactulose an effective laxative to treat constipation.